- Antonino. Antonino was named after the famous Senator Antonino who tragically died in a helicopter crash during a campaign trip. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 33, S. 1968, on February 16, 1968, Antonio become a barangay of the municipality Labason.
- Balas. “Balas” is the name of a small creek that flowed in the area towards Limon. According to the native oral tradition, there was plenty of Bal-as grown in this creek. Bal-as is a kind of grass which can be utilized as good material in making mats. The original inhabitants of this place were Subanens whose women are fun of weaving mats. They used to get Bal-as from the creek since mat weaving was the women’s livelihood by that time. So the place becomes popular of Bal-as mats which were taken from Bal-as Creek. Later, the creek was called Balas, which also became the official name of their barangay. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1960, Balas separated from her mother barangay, Lawigan. She was officially inaugurated on July 2, 1960.
- Bobongan. “Bobong” is a Visayan term meaning “household”. Subanens previously inhabited this place. Later, people from different places came to settle in the area and the Subanens were not so comfortable with their presence. To maintain their way of living, they lived together in a separate area and their groupings of house were called “Bobong”. The next migrant also did the same; they group together with their co-tribal families. Later the groups of various household were located and was called “Bobongan” which then become the official name of the place. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 3, S. 1960, Bobongan was created into a distinct barangay, previously a sitio of Barangay Dansalan.
- Dansalan. “Dansalan” was a name of a Subanen who once lived near the Gibakan Creek. Subanen were the first inhabitants of the place and their tribe leaders were all descendants of Dansalan. Since Dansalan was the leader, the place was called as such. It is therefore worthy to note that this place was already called “Dansalan” long before it was recognized as a barangay. Dansalan was one of the original barangays of this municipality. It was created by virtue of Executive Order No.79, Series of 1947, and it was one of the barangays of Labason on its inauguration last January 24, 1948.
- Kipit. “Kipit” (spelled “Quipit” before) is one of the oldest barangay in town, being a sitio of then barangay Labason under the municipality of Sindangan. Its name was taken from the word “Kumpit”, a Visayan term which means “boat”. According to oral tradition, this barangay had been the hiding place for pirates who came from different places. Escaping from authorities, most often it is in this place where they felt safer. Kipit was one of the original barangays of this municipality. Kipit was also one of the barangays included on the creation of Labason as a distinct municipality.
- Lawigan. Out from what was once a place abundant of wild animals where residents from nearby place came to the same for hunting, Lawigan was born. Its name derived from the common phrases used during that time by hunters which states “Manlawig ta sa unahan” (Come let us go over there). Later, this place was named “Lawig” (travel), and further evolved to “Lawigan” (A common route to travel). By virtue of SP Resolution No. 63, S. 1954, Lawigan which was once a part of Osukan become a barangay. It was formally inaugurated on April 15, 1954.
- San Isidro. The original settlers of this place were Subanens who lived a nomadic life. At first it was called sitio Talugao, an integral part of barangay Ubay. “Talugao” or “Talug” was a Subanen Datu (chieftain) and was the leader of this place. When the Christian migrated to this place, it was only then that Sitio Tulagao was renamed San Isidro, in honor of their patron saint St. Isidore The Farmer (San Isidro Labrador). By virtue of SP Resolution No. 72, S. 1966, San Isidro becomes a barangay separate from its mother barangay Ubay. It was formally inaugurated on November 18, 1966.
- Lapatan. There was once a Subano named “Luputan” who lived near the creek of what is now known as Barangay Lapatain. The word “Luputan” was adapted as the name of their place by the early inhabitants of the place. It further evolved into “Lapatan” and become the official name of the place. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 7, S. 1962, Lapatan become a barangay separate from its mother barangay, La Union.
- La Union. The name of the place was taken from the behavior and interaction of the people living in this barangay. Accordingly, people here were so united and very cooperative, an evidence thereto were the ‘pahinas’, ‘pintakasi’, ‘tulungan’ or ‘bayanihan’ activities in their community. So, upon the creation of their place, they agreed to name the place of La Union. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1950, La Union became one of the barangay of the municipality of Labason separate from its mother barangay Lopoc, It was formally inaugurated, according to oral tradition, on December 21, 1950.
- Imelda. The place was named after the famous iron woman of the Philippines and the wife of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos, Madame Imelda Romualdez Marcos. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 32, S. 1981 enacted on July 6, 1981, Imelda become a distinct barangay separate from her mother barangay, Antonino.
- Ubay. The place was named before as San Isidro in honor of the residents’ patron saint. In 1954, it was changed to Ubay in honor of former Governor Alberto Q. Ubay. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 6, S. 1961, Ubay become a barangay and separated from her mother barangay Dansalan. He was formally inaugurated on July 2, 1960.
- Gabu. The place was named after the famous Timoay (Subanen Chieftain) named Gabu who once lived in the area. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 11, S. 1962, Gabu was separated from her mother barangay Lawigan. He was formally inaugurated on January 15, 1962.
- Patawag. “Tawag” is a Visayan term which means “to call”. Long ago, when Patawag Bridge was not yet built, people from either side of the river used to call for a boat for them to be able to cross the river. They didn’t dare crossing the river without calling because the river was known then to be crocodile infested. Due to the usual calling activities from both sides of the river, the place was called Patawag meaning “do make a call”. By virtue of Executive Order No. 79, S. 1947 and on January 24, 1948, Patawag become one of the original barangays of the municipality of Labason.
- Lawagan. Lawagan was named after a Subano who once owned a large parcel of land in Dansalan. Such land was partitioned and sold to many buyers, yet people still continue to call the place “Lawagan” until it become the official name of the place. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 18, S. 1950, Lawagan was inaugurated and separated from Dansalan.
- Immaculada. This place was formerly called “Loy” until the residents of the area changed the same to Immaculada in honor of their patron, Mary on her Immaculate Conception. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1971, Immaculada was inaugurated and separated from Kipit.
- Gil Sanchez. Gil Sanchez was a great man of Labason history. When a barangay was created from Lopoc, the inhabitants of the area choose to name it Gil Sanchez in honor of this great man whose ancestry can be traced on this area. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 33, S. 1961, Gil Sancheaz was inaugurated and separated from Lopoc.
- New Salvacion. This place was named before as Tampilisan after Tampilisan Creek. Later, the Bicolanos came to settle in the place and through their leadership, the succeeded in changing the name of the place into New Salvacion. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 9, S. 1951, on October 14, 1951, New Salvacion becomes a separate barrio from barangay Kipit.
- Malintuboan. This place was named after its abundance of bees (“tambubuan” by the Visayan; “tubuan” in Subanen). By virtue of SP Resolution No. 60, S. 1951, the area was inaugurated and separated from Patawag.
- Osukan. This place was named after a small kind of tree (“Osuk”) utilized as materials in building temporary huts. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 61, S. 1951, the area was inaugurated and separated from Kipit.
- Lopoc. This place was named after ‘Tapok’, a Visayan term for gathering. By virtue of SP Resolution No. 72, S. 1956 on November 16, 1956, Lopoc become a barangay in Labason.
Table 1.3. Legal Basis and Date of Creation of Different Barangays of Labason, Zamboanga del Norte
|Name of Barangay||Legal Basis of Creation||Date Approved||Mother Barangay|
|1. Dansalan||E.O. 79, S. 1947||January 24, 1948||Labason|
|2. Patawag||E.O. 79, S. 1947||January 24, 1948||Labason|
|3. Kipit||E.O. 79, S. 1947||January 24, 1948||Labason|
|4. New Salvacion||SP Resolution No. 9, S. 1951||October 14, 1951||Kipit|
|5. Malintuboan||SP Resolution No. 60, S. 1951||No Available Data||Patawag|
|6. Osukan||SP Resolution No. 61, S. 1951||No Available Data||Kipit|
|7. Lapatan||SP Resolution No. 7, S. 1962||No Available Data||La Union|
|8. Lawagan||SP Resolution No. 18, S. 1950||No Available Data||Dansalan|
|9. La Union||SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1950||No Available Data||Lopoc|
|10. Balas||SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1960||No Available Data||Lawigan|
|11. Bobongan||SP Resolution No. 3, S. 1960||No Available Data||Dansalan|
|12. Ubay||SP Resolution No. 6, S. 1961||July 2, 1960||Dansalan|
|13. Gabu||SP Resolution No. 11, S. 1962||January 15, 1962||Lawigan|
|14. Lopoc||SP Resolution No. 72, S. 1956||November 16, 1956||Labason|
|15. Lawigan||SP Resolution No. 63, S. 1954||April 15, 1954||Osukan|
|16. San Isidro||SP Resolution No. 72, S. 1966||November 18, 1966||Ubay|
|17. Immaculada||SP Resolution No. 1, S. 1971||No Available Data||Kipit|
|18. Imelda||SP Resolution No. 32, S. 1981||July 6, 1981||Antonino|
|19. Antonino||SP Resolution No. 33, S. 1968||February 16, 1968||Labason|
|20. Gil Sanchez||SP Resolution No. 33, S. 1981||July 6, 1981||Lopoc|
Table 1.4. Barangay Political Subdivision
|3. Gil Sanchez||None|
|5. Balas||Jaiy, Tinago, Bitoon, Sibulan, Quarry, Mahayag, Masukod, Malantaw, Matin-aw, Monteverde, Limon, Tamborong, Muryo-Muryo|
|7. Dansalan||Upper, Lower, Proper|
|8. Gabu||Matin-aw, Kumutol|
|9. Immaculada||Balatacan, Batacan, Palandoc, Pilanan|
|10. Kipit||Tubak, Lobolingan, Bucana, Banalan|
|11. La Union||Proper, Lower, Upper, Diangos|
|12. Lapatan||Israel, Jordan, Diangos|
|13. Lawigan||Matin-aw, Mahayag, Codogon|
|15. Malintubuan||Camp Fish|
|16. New Salvacion||Paningala, Liboto, Banbanan, Jai, Babalod, Limon|
|17. Osukan||Bucana, Little Salug, Tayagan, Landing|
|18. Patawag||Camp Fish|
|19. San Isidro||Upper, Lower, Proper|
|20. Ubay||Upper, Lower, Proper|